Thank you for your interest in our study, Queering Mental Health Supports in Canada.
We want to hear from you about experiences you have had during the COVID-19 pandemic. How can mental health and other related services be improved to better support your health and well-being? What are your perspectives on what “queering mental health” looks like (or could look like) for 2SLGBTQI people in Canada?
We are looking for participants who:
- Are Two Spirit, lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, queer, and/or intersex*
OR who are a mental health or social service provider
- Live in Canada
- Are aged 16 years or older
- Have access to the internet or a smartphone
- Are capable of providing consent
*Or anyone who identifies as a sexual orientation, gender identity/expression, or sex characteristics (SOGIESC) minority.
There are two ways to participate:
We are seeking 400 participants for our national survey. All survey participants will be entered in a draw to win one of ten $200 gift cards for any of the following vendors: Visa, Mastercard, Indigo/Chapters, Winners/Home Sense, UberEats, or Skip the Dishes.
Survey closes in June 2022.
We will also be doing 90-minute virtual focus groups with 2SLGBTQI people and separate 90-minute focus groups with service providers. We are seeking 48 – 64 participants in total for our focus groups (8 participants in each session). Focus groups are currently scheduled between May – July 2022. Focus group participants will receive a $50 gift card (either physical or electronic) to one of the following vendors: Visa, Mastercard, Indigo/Chapters, Winners/Home Sense, UberEats, or Skip the Dishes.
- For the focus groups with 2SLGBTQI people, we especially welcome the participation of 2SLGBTQI people who identify as Black, Indigenous, people of colour (BIPOC) or who have experiences of racialization, who are over 55 years old, and/or who live in rural or remote areas. Please be aware that our selection process will prioritize people from within these groups. If you are not selected, please note that you can participate in other Queering Mental Health Supports in Canada research activities (updates will be posted on this page).
- For the focus groups with service providers, we welcome anybody who provides mental health or related supportive services (for example, psychologists, counselors, school counselors, psychiatrists, psychiatric nurses, social workers, peer outreach specialists, health systems navigators, etc.).
If you identify as 2SLGBTQI, register below to participate in a 90-min virtual focus group.
If you are a mental health service provider, register below to participate 90-min virtual focus group.
This research study is being conducted by Kim Seida, PhD (candidate), Senior Research Officer, Mental Health at Egale Canada. If you have any questions about the study or have any concerns, please contact Kim Seida at email@example.com. You can also call Kim at (437) 900-1602 or toll-free at 1-888-204-7777. Please state your phone number in your message and we will get back to you.
Concerns about the project may also be directed to CREO at firstname.lastname@example.org or 1-888-411-2736.
About the Project
This national multi-year project seeks to identify and address critical mental health care and support gaps and ensure that 2SLGBTQI individuals’ unique needs for mental health and well-being are addressed. The Queering Mental Health Supports in Canada project will achieve this through
- The provision of basic training to industry professionals
- Foundational research (including a national survey, regional focus groups with both 2SLGBTQI individuals and mental health service providers, and a community consultation event)
- The development of evidence-based and context-specific training and resources
- Partnership building
- Project evaluation