[button size=”medium” type=”rounded” color=”black” target=”_blank”  href=”https://egale.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Final_English_Infosheet_Transgender_Electors-1.pdf” ]Download and Print (PDF)[/button] [button size=”medium” type=”rounded” color=”black” target=”_blank” href=”https://egale.ca/wp-content/uploads/2015/10/Final_French_Infosheet_Transgender_Electors-1.pdf” ]Français[/button]

This pamphlet explains your rights and offers information on registration, voting and voter ID. Please feel welcome to bring a copy with you when you vote.

If you are 18 or older on election day, are a Canadian citizen and can prove your name and address, you can vote.

Your sex, gender expression and the sex indicator on your ID and voter registration documents do not affect your right to vote.

By law, all voters must:

Get Ready to Vote

  1. Select the ID document(s) you will use.
    • Elections Canada accepts a wide range of ID documents.
    • You are not required to show photo ID; there are many other options.
    • To see the full list of accepted ID, visit elections.ca or call 1-800-463-6868.
    • Keep in mind:
    • If you are using photo ID, it is acceptable if your appearance does not match the photo. If you register or vote in person, poll workers may ask why you do not resemble the photo.
    • If you are using two pieces of ID, it is acceptable if they have different sex indicators as long as they show the same name.
  2. Be registered under the name and address shown on this ID.

If you got a voter information card in the mail with your name and current address, you are registered and ready to vote. Not sure if you are registered? Check online at elections.ca or call 1-800-463-6868.

To update your name on your voter registration, you must sign a paper registration form and show accepted proof of name and address. You can do this:

  • Through your local Elections Canada office: Drop in or call to ask for a registration form to be emailed, faxed or mailed to you. Return the completed form and copies of your ID by October 13 at 6:00 p.m. (local time). To find your local office, call 1-800-463-6868 or visit elections.ca.
  • At your advance or election day polling place: You can do this just before you vote.
  • To register or to update your address, go through your local office or your polling place, as described above. Alternatively, you may be able to register or update your address online at elections.ca, before October 13 at 6:00 p.m. (local time).
  • When I register, why must indicate I indicate sex? The law requires that the sex of electors be collected and included in the National Register of Electors (the database of registered electors) and on the voters list (the list of people registered to vote at a particular polling station). The law does not require that voters prove sex or gender identity.

Choose a Voting Option

Vote in person

You can vote in person:

  • At any Elections Canada office – drop in before 6:00 p.m. (local time) on Tuesday, October 13.
  • At your advance polling place – from Friday, October 9 to Monday, October 12.
  • At your election day polling place – on Monday, October 19.

For locations and hours, visit elections.ca or call 1-800-463-6868.

Poll workers are trained to be respectful to all voters. They must respect voters’ privacy and share voter information only when required to by law.

By law, poll workers are required to ensure that all voters prove their name and address using ID accepted by Elections Canada, and that they are registered under the name and address shown on this ID.

Using your preferred name: You are free to present yourself under your preferred name. If your preferred name is different from the name on your voter registration and ID documents, a poll worker may ask you to explain.

If you or the poll worker has any concerns, you can consult the election officer who manages the polling place (the central poll supervisor or designated deputy returning officer).-

Vote by mail

If you prefer, you can vote by mail. You must apply by October 13 at 6:00 p.m. (local time).

  • Apply online at elections.ca or call 1-800-463-6868 to request an application form, which you can complete and submit by mail or in person.
  • Apply ASAP to allow time for your special ballot voting kit to reach you and for your marked ballot to be returned by the deadline on election day.

For more information, contact Elections Canada

Web: www.elections.ca | Tel.: 1-800-463-6868 | TTY: 1-800-361-8935


If you have trouble voting, contact Egale at voting@egale.ca


[info title=”UPDATE re: given name change”]

On the question of given name change on the Register, Elections Canada is aware that a lot of trans* voters received Voter information cards with their old name although they have made the change with all government agencies. The frustration is understandable.

Elections Canada updates voter registration using several data sources. However, they do not update electors’ GIVEN name(s) based on information from these data sources.

Electors may assume that because they have made their given name change with other governmental institutions, this given name change will be reflected on the voters list (and their voter registration card), when this is not so.

If electors have changed their given name(s), they must inform Elections Canada so they can update their voter registration (this process is noted in the Infosheet for trans* voters). This is the only way electors’ given name(s) will be updated on elector voter registration lists and on their voter information card.