[CLOSED] Job Posting – Media Relations and Strategic Communications OfficerJob Posting - Media Relations and Strategic Communications Officer (Bilingual)
|Position title||Media Relations and Strategic Communications Officer (Bilingual)|
|Organization||Egale Canada Human Rights Trust|
|Reports to||Director of Development|
|Posting type||Internal / External|
|Term||Contract, 12 month term (possibility of extension)|
|Level / Salary range||Senior (Experienced Hire) / Level 3, Band 4|
|Benefits||Comprehensive benefits after probationary period
|Location||185 Carlton St. Toronto|
|Hours||Weekdays 10am – 6pm (flexible work hours may be required)|
|Application deadline||6pm EST Monday 6th March, 2017|
|Apply by||Resume and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org|
Egale Canada Human Rights Trust (Egale) works to improve the lives of LGBTQI2S people by informing public policy, inspiring cultural change, and promoting human rights and inclusion through research, education and community engagement. The acronym LGBTQI2S references all people with diverse gender identities and experiences of attraction (sexual orientation), including those who identify as lesbian, gay, bisexual, trans, queer, questioning, intersex, or Two Spirit. Egale’s vision is a Canada, and ultimately a world, without homophobia, biphobia, transphobia and all other forms of oppression so that every person can achieve their full potential, free from hatred and bias.
The Media Relations & Strategic Communications Officer, a new role in the organization, joins an existing development team of three and is responsible for developing and implementing all aspects of our strategy for media relations and strategic communications. The ideal candidate is an experienced practitioner in public relations and social engagement, actively working each day to master strategy development and produces results.
Reporting to the Director of Development, and in collaboration with other members of the Egale Canada team, the Media Relations & Strategic Communications Officer is responsible for the development of a Media Relations Plan and related components of the Social Media Plan as well as supporting the Executive Director with the development of talking points/remarks and presentation materials.
In line with Egale’s positioning and branding, this position is a key driver for building and protecting the organization’s reputation with a keen eye to both risks and opportunities. As a media and marketing/communications expert, the successful candidate will contribute media and social media expertise to all plans, meetings and discussions, also overseeing various aspects of publications, marketing materials, websites and e-communications.
Roles and Responsibilities
Job Responsibility #1: Media Relations (20% of time):
- As the organization’s lead for media relations, prepare a Media Relations Strategy as part of a Marketing Plan with clear metrics for tracking and measuring success.
- Proactively seek out, plan, manage and execute media opportunities and coverage, and create content for producing/coordinating material and events in support of the strategic Marketing & Communications goals to build reputation and awareness of Egale.
- Conduct quarterly reviews of media coverage, creating a dashboard that tracks metrics, keeps comparison data, sets new goals and allows for adjustment to the plan as required.
- Constantly renew and refresh accurate media lists.
- Conduct daily media scans, proactively identifying and acting on risks and opportunities, preparing editorial content, op-ed pieces for departments and the Executive Director.
- Respond to all media calls and inquiries and prepare detailed reports on media issues with the potential for impact on Egale Canada for the Director of Development and the Executive Director.
- Create relationships with members of the media related to Egale Canada’s key focus areas and actively pursue a match for media needs with Egale’s experts.
Job Responsibility #2: Strategic Communications (50% of time):
- Create and support related internal communication strategies; craft backgrounders, presentations, briefing notes, and proposals.
- Meet with directors from the departments of: Research & Policy, Programs & Services, Development, and Housing/EYO to identify and develop success stories, opportunities for commentary on topical issues, features and profiles – and activate use in media relations and marketing/communications materials.
- As lead on social media content, ensure media prominence and a high level of social media activity through involvement and attendance at Egale Canada events, announcements, occasions, and celebrations.
- Plan, write (or oversee writing) and edit content for news releases, online news stories, articles and photographic content for all types of marketing & communications publications and material.
- Participate as the lead media and social media planner and advisor on various committees and working groups (e.g. OUTShine, Out in Fashion, Identity Conference, Gala & Awards).
Job Responsibility #3: Executive Office Support (20% of time):
- Prepare/update key messaging for issues, news releases, backgrounders, fact sheets, and bios.
- Prepare/update talking points, remarks/speeches, and presentation materials.
- Plan, write (or oversee writing) and edit the Annual Report.
Job Responsibility #4: Performs Other Duties as Assigned (10% of time):
- Assists the development team in meeting deadlines for projects that may fall outside primary job responsibilities.
- Attends all Egale public-facing events organized by any department
- Familiarity with the LGBTQI2S community and LGBTQI2S human rights more generally.
- Bachelor’s degree (advanced degree preferred) in Public Relations, Communications, Journalism, Media Studies, Marketing, Business Administration, or related field (or general degree with post-graduate diploma or specialization in any one of these areas).
- 3-5 years of progressive development experience in Public Relations, Communications or Media, experience working with major national news outlets and/or magazine/trade/online publications.
- Proven record of securing positive press with key media, including magazine/trade/online publications at the national and international level.
- Interest and appetite for the latest developments in marketing and media as well as experience in integrating social media and online media strategies.
- Outstanding strategic, creative, and conceptual writing and editing skills for various media.
- Well-honed issues management skills.
- Recognizable and consistent social media presence as well as interest and expertise in new media technologies.
Interested candidates must submit a Resume and Cover Letter by email to Ryan Lester at email@example.com by 11:59PM EST on Monday 6th March, 2017 with the position title in the Subject line.
Director of Development
Employment Equity and Diversity
Egale Canada Human Rights Trust is committed to ensuring that members of traditionally marginalized groups, from a broad range of communities, feel empowered to apply for positions within the organization. We encourage qualified applicants to consider work and volunteer opportunities with Egale as we recognize that a diverse work force and volunteer base are critical to accomplishing our mission. The organization is dedicated to taking proactive steps to overcome historical patterns of discrimination in our society, which have created barriers of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, language, class, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression for some individuals and have resulted in the denial of their full participation in society.