Job Posting – Two Spirit Projects Coordinator and Facilitator
|Position Title:||Two Spirit Projects Coordinator & Facilitator|
|Organization:||Egale Canada Human Rights Trust|
|Term:||Full time, 12 month contract, possibility of extension|
|Salary Range:||Level 4, Band 2|
|Career Level:||Intermediate Level|
|Reports To:||Director of Programs & Services|
[Open till filled]
Egale Canada Human Rights Trust (Egale) is a national charity promoting human rights based on sexual orientation and gender identity through research, education and community engagement. Egale’s vision is a Canada, and ultimately a world, without homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, and all other forms of oppression, so that every person can achieve their full potential, free from hatred and bias.
In support of our mission and vision, Egale leads numerous national projects:
- Safer and Accepting Schools: Empowering students, parents and educators to form peer networks and establish LGBTQ2S safer spaces in schools, Egale has delivered professional development workshops to over 10,000 teachers and educators.
- LGBTQ2S Youth Suicide Prevention: Egale has twice hosted Canada’s LGBTQ2S Youth Suicide Prevention Summit, gathering experts and community members from across North America to talk about LGBTQ2S youth suicide, to share best practices and to advance strategies for the creation and implementation of concrete recommendations.
- Egale Youth OUTReach: LGBTQ2S youth are overrepresented in the homeless population, with over 20% of homeless youth identifying as LGBTQ2S, compared to 3.5% of the general population. Many LGBTQ2S youth report feeling unsafe or being re-victimized in the current shelter system. Egale operates a crisis intervention and housing support centre for LGBTQ2S youth in order to mitigate these challenges.
Egale’s work is grounded in anti-racist and anti-oppressive (ARAO) practice. While striving to compile, produce and communicate the best-available evidence, we recognize that the production of knowledge is always intimately connected to power, privilege and oppression. Often, it is those with the least power to produce and shape knowledge who are most in need of services, leaving them under-served or ill-served. As such, Egale undertakes to balance both academic and experiential knowledge, privileging community-based participatory practices in conducting research; developing and reviewing policy, resources and curricula; and providing services to clients, community organizations and individuals. In everything we do, Egale recognizes the necessity of taking an intersectional perspective in order to reflect and respond to the needs and experiences of the full diversity of LGBTQ2S communities.
The Programs & Services Department promotes and fosters the human rights and equitable inclusion of LGBTQ people in community, schools, and work through education, consultation, community engagement, training and resource development. Our program streams include:
- Safer Schools
- Safer Campuses
- Safer Workplaces
- Safer Communities
- Safer Sport
Reporting to the Director of Programs & Services, the Two Spirit Projects Coordinator & Facilitator job duties include, but are not limited to the following:
Program Coordination (50%)
- Work in collaboration with the Indigenous Program Coordinator & Facilitator in project development and implementation. Taking project lead on assigned initiatives.
- Maintain external relationships with community-based organizations and organizations that serve LGBTQI2S Indigenous communities.
- Support and participate on a national LGBTQI2S Indigenous network.
- Identify LGBTQI2S Indigenous engagement opportunities.
- Provide support to community and social service organizations in LGBTQI2S Indigenous safer space and inclusion.
- Promote Egale resources, services, events and training.
- Represent Egale at LGBTQI2S Indigenous events and on relevant committees.
- Participate in the recruitment of and coordination of volunteers.
- Participate in the development of LGBTQI2S Indigenous-specific resources.
- Participate in the development of project evaluation outcomes and indicators and tracking systems for effective evaluation and reporting.
- Monitor & report on progress of projects. Provide or contribute to reports, statistics, written narratives and other administrative documentation as required for funding and organizational reports and materials.
- Build and maintain relationships with stakeholders to support future training opportunities.
- Attend staff meetings, supervision meetings, and other meetings as assigned.
- Other duties as assigned by Director of Programs & Services.
Training Delivery (50%)
- Source opportunities and deliver presentations at conferences, workshops and symposia to showcase work of Egale and LGBTQ2S issues.
- Provide ongoing professional development, training and consultative services to throughout the public and private sector across Canada.
- Degree in relevant field (i.e. Adult education, social sciences, program coordination, business) or equivalent work experience
- Lived experience as LGBTQ2S Indigenous community member
- Strong group facilitation and presentation skills
- Strong organizational, planning and project management skills
- Strong interpersonal, relationship building and conflict resolution skills
- Creative problem solving skills and sound judgment
- Excellent oral, written, analytical and technical skills
- Ability to determine priorities, be self-directed and work with minimal supervision
- Works well independently and as part of a team
- Strong team-oriented skills
- Ability to flex and adapt quickly based on multiple channels of feedback
- Must be flexible and able to manage multiple priorities
- Must have ability to effectively manage a project from its initiation to delivery
- Familiarity with the LGBTQ2S community and LGBTQ2S human rights more generally
- Experience working in a not-for-profit, LGBTQ community and/or social justice environment
- Understanding of intersectionality and commitment to working within an anti-oppression/anti-racism framework
- Proficient in a variety of computer applications (e.g. MS Office Suite, Google applications)
- Possess a valid driver’s license.
- Written and Oral proficiency in French is preferred
Interested candidates who meet the eligibility requirements must submit a cover letter and resume by email to Ty Smith, Director of Programs & Services
Director of Programs & Services
416-964-7887 ext. 7101
Employment Equity and Diversity
Egale Canada Human Rights Trust is committed to ensuring that members of traditionally marginalized groups, from a broad range of communities feel empowered to apply for positions within the organization. We encourage qualified applicants to consider work and volunteer opportunities with Egale as we recognize that a diverse work force and volunteer base are critical to accomplishing our mission. The organization is dedicated to taking proactive steps to overcome historical patterns of discrimination in our society which have created barriers of race, colour, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, language, class, sexual orientation, and gender identity or expression for some individuals and have resulted in the denial of their full participation in society.