Skip to Online Counselling Resources
LGBTQI2S people are 1.5x more likely to have depression and anxiety compared to heterosexual counterparts. Due to the circumstances of the COVID-19 pandemic, LGBTQI2S people are likely to experience higher levels of stress. These moments of panic and high stress can often be due to an overwhelming sense of uncertainty and lack of control. When this happens, it is important to pull back, take a breath and evaluate.
Here are a few tips that might help ground you in those moments:General-Mental-Health-Tips-5.0
Online Counselling Resources
This is a living list, please check back for updates!
- Affordable Therapy Network – offering reduced rates, low-cost, sliding scale online therapy options
- BetterHelp offers $40 to $70 weekly plans (can also be via text or chat – not just video call) – US-based, but clients can be from anywhere
- Big White Wall – is a free, online mental health and wellbeing service that helps people who are dealing with everyday stressors or major life events. Available 24/7/365
- BounceBack: A free, evidence-based cognitive behavioural therapy (CBT) program that provides guided mental health self-help supports for adults and youth 15+ using workbooks, online videos and phone coaching.
- ConnexOntario: Adults and frontline workers who are dealing with the realities of COVID-19 can call ConnexOntario for mental health, addictions and problem gambling support.
- COVID19 Therapists – Facilitating free mental health services for Ontario COVID-19 healthcare providers
- Good2Talk – Good2Talk provides confidential support services for post-secondary students in Ontario and Nova Scotia. This hotline is also free.
- Greenspace Mental Health – finds you a therapist matched to your needs, available for GTA. Sessions in person or online video (therapy fees apply)
- Inkblot virtual therapy sessions ($37.50/30 min sessions, first session is free)
- LGBT YouthLine – Free peer to peer support for youth under 29 in Ontario; phone, text and chat services
- Open Path Collective – offering sliding scale individual ($30-$60) and couples and families ($30-$80) therapy options
- New Creations Counseling – offers online therapy for individuals and couples with sliding scale
- Pathway-Therapy, in-person and online options. Currently offering sliding-scales to support a wider range of people during the COVID-19 pandemic.
- Real Campus Student Assistance Program (run by Shift Collab). If you are a University or College student at eligible campuses you have access to free therapy sessions. Visit the website for eligibility here.
- Shift Collab, in-person and online options. Sliding scale options. Free initial consult call.
- Talkspace is offering $100 off their plans
- Umbrella Mental Health Network – Queer mental health professionals supporting LGBTQ* health & wellness, now offering online psychotherapy & e-counselling services
- 7 Cups connects you to caring listeners for free emotional support 24/7; or be a listener for others
Are you stuck in quarantine and not out to your homophobic or transphobic family? Here’s a resource for some tips on how to deal with that situation.