Egale Seniors Advisory Committee Expression of Interest
Call for Seniors Advisory Committee Members:
Egale envisions a Canada, and ultimately a world, without homophobia, biphobia, transphobia, and all other forms of oppression, so that every person can achieve their full potential, free from hatred and bias. Egale’s mission is to advance human rights based on sexual orientation and gender identity through research, education and community engagement.
Egale is currently seeking enthusiastic and motivated individuals for its Seniors Advisory Committee. The Egale Seniors Committee is a committee of Egale Canada Human Rights Trust, and shall establish priorities and direct action concerning issues affecting seniors and communities across Canada.
Seniors shall include, but not be limited to: lesbian, gay, bi, trans*, intersex, queer and two spirit and any other person over the age of 55 years old who identifies as a member of the LGBTIQ2S communities.
The Egale Seniors Committee identifies issues, trends, stakeholders, funding sources to support Egale’s national and international research, community engagement, partnerships and projects focused on LGBTIQ2S seniors.
Responsibility of Committee Members
- Make recommendations to the Board regarding development of an Egale national LGBTIQ2Sseniors strategy;
- Identifying LGBTIQ2S seniors related issues, trends, project and funding opportunities;
- Engage and network with key stakeholders;
- Make recommendations to the Board to increase public and community awareness of issues facing LGBTIQ2S seniors;
- Establish and implement a research agenda; and
- Develop a communications and action network across Canada to enable Egale to respond effectively to the needs of seniors and communities.
- Meetings will be held frequently enough to accomplish the goals set out in the work-plan. Committee members are expected to make every effort to participate in each meeting by either teleconferencing, video conferencing or in person.
Criteria for Selection
The Seniors Advisory Committee consists of individuals and groups from across Canada. Members must:
- Represent the LGBTQ community;
- Possess an understanding of issues related to LGBTQ2S seniors, programs and services;
- Be individuals or organizations committed to and/providing programs and services to LGBTQseniors.
- Be aligned with Egale vision and mission and committed to contribute meaningfully to the work of the Egale; and
- Be committed to working a minimum of four hours a month, as well as participate in email and or telephone discussions related to the Seniors Advisory Committee.
Individuals wishing to serve on the Seniors Advisory Committee must complete the Expression of Interest Form and return it to Egale (firstname.lastname@example.org) by Friday, June 5th, 2015 at 5 p.m.