This year, combatting 2SLGBTQI hate is even more important than ever.
Taking place annually on May 17, the International Day Against Homophobia, Transphobia, and Biphobia (IDAHOBIT) was created in 2003 — making this year the 20th anniversary of the international event — to draw attention to the violence and discrimination experienced by 2SLGBTQI people across the globe.
Around the world, societies are bearing witness to an unprecedented and exponential rise in anti-2SLGBTQI, hate-fueled, and gender-critical movements. Unfortunately, Canada has been no exception in this regard. There is a growing reactionary movement in Canada threatening the safety, freedoms, and rights of 2SLGBTQI people, especially those who are Two-Spirit, trans, nonbinary, and/or gender non-conforming.
Here in Canada, IDAHOBIT is led by Fondation Émergence, learn more about their campaign for 2023 at lgbtqphobias.ca or in the content below.
Here are some ways you can combat hate against the 2SLGBTQI community.
Share Our Recent Calls to Action
- Egale Canada Urges All Municipalities to Fly the Pride Flag as a Symbol of Solidarity for 2SLGBTQI People in their Community as Anti-2SLGBTQI Hate Continues to Rise Across Canada
- Egale Canada Urges all Schools to Foster Safe Spaces for 2SLGBTQI Students
- All Levels of Government in Canada have a Responsibility to Combat the Rise in Anti-2SLGBTQI Hate
- Egale Canada calls on the CRTC to Hold a Public Consultation on the Broadcasting of the American Fox News Channel in Canada
Egale’s report Still in Every Class in Every School (2021) shows that homophobia, biphobia, and transphobia still exists in Canadian schools. Every student deserves the right to learn in an environment free from violence, harassment, and bullying. Here are two ways that educators can build 2SLGBTQI-inclsuive schools.
Build 2SLGBTQI-Inclusive Schools
Trans & Nonbinary Youth
May 23, 2023 at 12pm EST
This free webinar aims to help educators understand the unique experiences and challenges faced by trans and nonbinary students. It is designed to support the work of bringing critical learning and conversations about trans, nonbinary, and gender diverse identities and experiences into school communities.
Relearn and React Series
Relearn and React series, a collection of curriculum-friendly teaching resources and materials featuring topics supporting 2SLGBTQI representation and inclusion within the Ontario curriculum. There are several educational toolkits with video resources created to help and support grade seven to 12 teachers who wish to diversify their curriculum beyond its current scope.
Learn about 2SLGBTQI inclusion
Studies show that one of the best ways to combat hate is through education. Egale is proud to have a variety of educational resources to help you on your knowledge journey.
Introduction to 2SLGBTQI Inclusion
- Terms and Definitions: Systems of Oppression and Privilege
- Termes et definitions : Systèmes d’oppression et de privilège
- Genderbread Person: Components of Human Identity
- Composantes de l’identité humaine
- Pronoun Usage Guide
- Affirming and Inclusive Language
- Grammaire de genre neutre et langage inclusive
- 2SLGBTQI Terms and Concepts
- Termes et concepts 2SLGBTQI
Further In-Depth Education
- Preparing Students for the Transition of a Trans or Gender Diverse Peer
- Préparer les élèves à la transition d’un·e camarade de classe transgenre ou de genre divers
- Draw-The-Line – Against Transphobic Violence in Schools
- 2SLGBTQI Sports Inclusion: Playbook to breaking down barriers
- Tips on how to practice 2SLGBTQI Allyship
- Des conseils sur la manière d’agir en allié 2SLGBTQI
- Toilet Training: The basics of making your washrooms inclusive for everyone
- Supporting Your Gender Diverse Child
Participate in Foundation Émergence’s 2023 Campaign
Fondation Émergence is a non-profit organization which fights against homophobia and transphobia through a range of actions.
Their 2023 campaign, The LGBTQ-Phobias, raises awareness on how phobias are irrational fears and how LGBTQ-phobias are irrational fears.
Join Fondation Émergence (and Egale Canada) in fighting against LGBTQ-phobias.
Take their quiz, receive awareness-raising materials and sign their petition.