October 11 marks National Coming Out Day, and we’re spotlighting three brave individuals who are ready to come out in a very bold way in our Coming Out Loud campaign. Through their stories, we are looking not only to celebrate those that decide to come out, but to signal to the community that Egale is here to support those who need it, and to raise awareness around the difficulties of coming out.
Coming out to your loved ones isn’t a one-size-fits-all process; and choosing to remain in the closet for one’s safety does not make someone any less valid in the 2SLGBTQI community. Everyone has a unique experience and set of circumstances that determine how they live as their authentic self.
Did you know?
- Police-reported hate crimes targeting sexual orientation rose 16% in 2017 to 204 incidents, compared with 176 incidents in 2016 (Statistics Canada, 2017).
- In 2018, although these numbers declined 15% to 173 incidents, compared to 2017, we know that 2SLGBTQI hate crimes continue to often go unreported (Statistics Canada, 2018).
- Hate crimes targeting sexual orientation populations were more likely to be violent than non-violent, according to data reported from 2010 to 2018 (Statistics Canada, 2018)
- Crimes motivated by hatred of sexual orientation accounted for 10% of hate crimes (Statistics Canada, 2018)
- 2SLGBTQI people are 1.5x more likely to have depression and anxiety compared to heterosexual counterparts (Rainbow Health Ontario, 2012)
Coming Out & Allyship Resources
- 2SLGBTQI Glossary Of Terms
- Pronoun Usage Guide
- The Genderbread Person
- Tips On How To Practice 2SLGBTQI Allyship
- Inclusive & Affirming Language
- Grammaire De Genre Neutre Et Langage Inclusive
- 2SLGBTQI Mental Health Tips During The COVID-19 Pandemic
For Parents/Guardians & Educators
- What To Do When Your Child Comes Out to You
- Pronoun Resource For Teachers
- Supporting Your Gender Diverse Child
- Toilet Training: Making Your Washrooms Inclusive For Everyone
- Rainbow Table: Connecting 2SLGBTQI Seniors
- Video Chatting Tips & COVID-19 Resources For 2SLGBTQI Older People
For The Workplace
Questions about #ComingOutLoud or our resources? Email us at email@example.com