Every March 31st, the trans community and allies come together to observe #TransDayOfVisibility (TDOV). Today is about celebrating trans individuals, their achievements, and the hard-earned progress that has been made towards true equity for the trans community. Beyond that, though, TDOV is about renewing our commitment to educate ourselves on trans issues and to raise our voices against transphobia in all its forms. Whether you’re a trans person looking for support during this difficult time or looking to act in allyship to support the trans people in your life, we’ve got something to help.
Our Top 5 list includes items for both trans folks and their allies!
1. Learn more about pronouns, inclusive language, and allyship tips with our collection of resources.
For the full collection of Egale resources, see here.
The Genderbread Person
Pronoun Usage Guide
Inclusive & Affirming Language
Tips on How to Practice 2SLGBTQI Allyship
2. Watch our video resources to better understand trans experiences.
Access to Justice: The Importance of I.D. for Trans Clients
Rainbow Table: Rainbow Veterans & Trans Inclusion in the Military
3. Make your school setting (virtual and otherwise) more inclusive with our ‘Draw the Line – Against Transphobic Violence’ webinars & resources.
Draw The Line – Against Transphobic Violence was previously offered as an in-person half-day workshop to both students and educators. To comply with safety and best practices during the COVID-19 pandemic, this new iteration of DTL has been adapted into a webinar to go along with new lesson plans and resources.
4. Share your voice in a trans-LINK Network Survey
The trans-LINK Network is building a research agenda on sexual assault & IPV against trans, non-binary and Two Spirit people. Researchers, advocates, policymakers, funders, service providers, and trans people are invited to register.
5. Learn more and become an ally in our Workplace Inclusion + Safer Schools trainings.
Egale offers private, public and not-for-profit sector organizations reliable, high-quality training and development for professional, management and organizational development on both a local and national scale. We aim to help clients develop the strategy, motivation, and accountability required to foster 2SLGBTQI inclusion and safer space.
64% of 2SLGBTQI students reported feeling unsafe at school. Egale supports Canada’s vision of safer and accepting schools for all by delivering FREE professional development workshops to every school.
Learn from and share these resources with your network of peers!
- Beyond Visibility: Towards Trans Liberation [ILGA Webinar @ 9 AM EST] (registration closed)
- Stuck in Quarantine with your homophobic and transphobic family?
- LGBTQI2S Mental Health Tips during the COVID-19 Pandemic
- Navigating COVID-19 and chest binding — 8 tips to look after your respiratory health for trans and non-binary people who bind their chest – Jack Metcalfe and Amelia Arnold
- Sex work and COVID-19
- Trans Lifeline – a trans-led organization that connects trans people to the community, support, and resources they need to survive and thrive